Thursday, September 27, 2012

Herb Trolley


I recently acquired a small shopping cart and got a few herbs for my birthday and decided to merge the two and make my very own little herb garden on wheels. This way I can move them out of the harsh Camps Bay wind and move them from sun spot to sun spot. They can either be on the balcony, in the kitchen when cooking or even my room.

I have started out with Parsley, Coriander, Chives and Basil.

There are various amazing tips and pointers you can find all over the internet, Pinterest is particularly good for this.

In order to start a good herb (or any) garden, you need good soil. You can use any soil, but be sure to add compost to the soil before planting your seeds. It's always a good idea to add the compost to the soil a week or so before planting, to give the compost time to do it's job. Compost can be bought at any garden centre. You can also make it yourself. I found a couple of cool websites, but this one is a good one to check out. Everything you need to know about Composting. The cool thing about doing it yourself is that you are actually reducing your amount of kitchen waste. There are ways of doing this as to not stink up your entire garden. Here's another cool link: http://www.makeandtakes.com/its-not-trashy-to-compost?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+makeandtakes+%28Make+and+Takes%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Another really cool idea that keeps away slugs and pests are crushed egg shells. I never know what to do with them. They protect your plants and provides nutrients over time that can help your plants grow and blossom.

This weekend I'm going to add to my garden, by buying a few more herbs. I will keep you posted as this is quite an experiment and something new to me. I have had herb gardens before, but nothing serious, just for fun, and each time I moved, I had to sadly leave them behind.

If you have any pointers or helpful hints, please pass them onto me by commenting on this post.

Wish me luck x


No comments:

Post a Comment